Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What is American food?

 (Can Vietnamese eat this every day?)
On one of our very first dates, I asked Ben: “What is  American food? Do you eat rice there?”
And he said: “We have many kinds of food in America and we don’t often eat rice”. Then I was surprised and said: “How come you can live without rice? I don’t think I can survive in America because I eat rice every day in Vietnam”. Now when I am in America, I would say American typical food are hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches which I can not eat every day. So my first feeling of American food is: I don’t like the food here! Also, most of the food here is processed food. Everything is already prepared in bags or cans. I think the food industry here must be very developed. I don’t know about the ingredients that they use for prepared food, but for Vietnamese, most of the can food is made from not so good sources. This thinking makes me not so interested in preserved food. I definitely miss Vietnamese food a lot. I miss the food that we make fresh for every meal with a lot of vegetable dishes.
On the contrast, I like eating food in America that is not American food. I think Italian food, especially pizza that I had in New Jersey is so delicious. Now I love Japanese and Mexican food in LA. You might wonder have I tried Vietnamese food in America. It will be the next blog that I want to talk about.

1 comment: