Saturday, September 3, 2011

My first job in America!


First off, I want to say thank you to all Photastic readers. At the beginning I was planning to post every day from Monday to Friday, but I am so bad that already missed one yesterday. However, I do have a good reason which didn’t allow me to have time to write yesterday’s post. I was so happy and I really wanted to tell to the whole world that: I GOT A JOB!!! Yes, I just got a job offer in New York City 3 days ago and yesterday was my second day at work. I still feel like it is surreal! Here is the story about how I got the job.
I have been in the US for over two months, but the first one and a half month I felt pretty busy with meeting everyone in the family and friends. So I was just really having time to search for a job during the last 3 weeks. I tried to go to all the job websites that our friends told me to look at.  I don’t remember how many companies that I have applied to. I was very worried that after 2 weeks passed, no company responded to my applications. I told myself that it might be because I am a new person in the country so nobody wants to hire me, especially because right now there are a lot of Americans looking for jobs. I almost thought that there will be no chance for me to find a job here in the US. But somehow magic happened. Ben had been trying to contact with all of his friends who work in the fashion industry – the field I worked in in Vietnam -- and asked everyone for advice for finding a job for me.  Everyone of Ben’s friends and family tried to find connections to help me. I really appreciated all of our friends and family members who have been helping me a lot especially Abby, Dave and Aunt Jane (they all helped me fix my resume and contacted places for me). Everyone’s effort really made me try to apply and find for more job advertisements, because I didn’t want to make every one disappointed. 
Ben found out that his friend Jackie from high school is working at a recruiting company. She tried to find if there is any open position for me, but sadly there was no job that would be good for me. Jackie even sent my resume to a company that dose not have an open position to see if there is any chance. Coincidently the company that Jackie sent my resume to is a textile company which is trying to start business with a Vietnamese company. That is why they really wanted to have a meeting with me, even though they didn’t have a position. So I went to see them and I knew from them at the meeting that they were just in my old company in Vietnam four months ago. Then I was really interested in this company when they talked about how they are willing to do business with my old company. After the meeting, I did ask him just to make sure if they have any open position and I had a big hope when he said: We will create a job if we want to. After the meeting, we met our friend Jackie for coffee to talk about my meeting. Before we could even buy the coffee, Jackie got a call from her office saying that the textile company wants me to work for them. I hugged Ben and Jackie so hard to tell them how happy I was. I wanted to yell out load: I GOT A JOB! I know being in a new country, having no job would be very hard for me. I feel very confident that I can do great at this job and I’m so happy because now I have a chance to show my ability. I even felt happier than the first time I got a job after university. It was amazing! Thank you every one for being so supportive and helpful.
                             (Jackie and I was at coffee shop when we heard about the job offer)
I would like to say thank you to all of our friends and my in-laws. I would like to say how amazing Ben was to encourage, help and advise me. I felt I am the luckiest person in the world to have such a great husband.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Huyen! You are awesome and lucky! Best wishes to you and Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Huyen. How lucky you are.
    I'll follow you.
    Best wish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story! I recommend josty.org to all job seekers looking for USA jobs.

    ReplyDelete