Friday, November 25, 2011

THANKSGIVING!!!

                                               (Our family on Thanksgiving Dinner)
Experiencing my first Thanksgiving makes me more understanding of why Ben was very sad the past three years in Vietnam when he missed Thanksgiving. Actually last year, my brother Su and I made a special meal on Thanksgiving for Ben. At that time, I really wanted to make turkey for Ben for Thanksgiving, but it is very hard to buy and cook turkey in Vietnam. So I just made pumpkin and mashed potatoes. Since Ben had been talking about how much fun Thanksgiving is in America, I was so excited for Thanksgiving. And yesterday was my first THANKSGIVING! Actually I felt the Thanksgiving atmosphere from the beginning of this week because it was crazy busy everywhere in New York City.
                                                   (This was the reason why I slept a lot)

The first thing I noticed on Thanksgiving was that we had SO much food! As I've learned, every year my parents-in-law have their family and friends come over for dinner. And this year, we had about 25 people come over. It sounds pretty crazy, but my mother-in-law was amazing at organizing and preparing all the food. She cooked most of the food and some other people brought their own dishes. It was really a lot of fun that we spent time together cooking and setting up tables. Ben and I were in charge of cooking pumpkin with garlic, but sadly 3 out of 4 pumpkins we had were too hard, so we just cooked 1 small pumpkin for 25 people. Actually it was a good strategy because our dish was finished first.
                                                (Our turkey is COOKED!!!)

Even though I had turkey before I was very excited for our turkey because I saw turkey is cooked when the flag popped out. It was a huge turkey! It was interesting to see how our uncle Barry carved the turkey. He did a really beautiful job. I ate so much food that I slept almost 11 hours last night. I think turkey really made me sleepy. 

I really enjoyed my first Thanksgiving. It reminded me about Tet in Vietnam, when all family members get together and we always have a lot of food. Thanksgiving really makes me thankful for having such a great in-laws family. I love Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear about your first Thanksgiving! It is a fun holiday, right? Friends, family...so much love. :) Hope to see you again soon, Huyen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on experiencing your first turkey coma! It's a Thanksgiving tradition in many households.

    ReplyDelete